Monday, September 19, 2011

The Art of Projection

We are starting a project where we have the freedom to do just about anything we want. It can be a performance, a film, or an installation that somehow involves projectors. There are many artists that use projected images as part of their work. As for the ones we looked at in class I was really drawn to Pipilotti Rist's Ever is Over All. I really liked how she used two projectors making the images overlap. Another piece that I really liked was Sarah Pucill's You Be Mother, because I liked how she projected onto objects rather than a flat screen. For my project I want to film my friends and I hula hooping with LED and Fire Hoops. I want to get a bunch of different shots and then play around with how I will project them. I am thinking about trying different things with mirrors, glass and objects or shapes of some kind. Another video that I like is by a musician Amon Tobin where he has different lights and images projected onto boxes on the stage.

1 comment:

  1. has you were talking i was thinking about this sequence from THE BQE - A Film by Sufjan Stevens

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRHi6I6vhss&feature=relmfu

    it might be helpful to really plan out your framing before/as you shoot - ie: if you're going to project 2 images side by side how the movement within the frame carries over to, or away from the next.

    i love imagining complete darkness with nothing but hula hoop on fire!

    ReplyDelete